- Water – 1 gallon
- Beets – 3 medium
- Carrots – 2
- Potatoes – 2 medium
- Onion – 1 small
- Green cabbage – 1/2 head
- Tomato paste – 1 tablespoon
- Vegetable oil – 2 tablespoons
- Vinegar to taste (apple cider or citric acid work great)
- Dill – 1/2 bunch
- Salt and black pepper – to taste
- Garlic – 2 cloves
1. Boil the beets (skin on) till tender and are easy to be punctured with a knife.
2. Chop the onion, grate the carrots on a box grater (use large holes), shred the cabbage, cut peeled potatoes to 1/2″ cubes, chop the dill
3. In a large skillet saute the onions with carrots and a tablespoon of tomato paste in vegetable oil for approximately 3 minutes
4. Add the cooked vegetables to 1 gallon of water along with shredded cabbage (1/2 head) and cubed potatoes, add salt to taste
5. Peel the beets and shred on the box grater (use large holes), add chopped dill and vinegar or citric acid to taste
6. When cabbage is cooked to consistency you like (can leave a little crunchy or cook until soft) add the shredded beets. Once the water boils again, skim the foam off the top and turn it off. You can add garlic to taste at the end. 7. Let the soup sit covered for 15-20 minutes
The soup can be served with a teaspoon of sour cream on top.
Enjoy this delicious soup!